Door opening on both sides should be added, since players seem to love
the spanish solution and keep trying to build tracks with platforms on
Indeed, I was originally planning to implement this, but there is a
problem. Doors work by the means of model animations. There is an
- opening/closing left door while right one is closed
- opening/closing right door while left one is closed
But when we would add this, there need to be animations for:
- opening/closing left door while right one is open
- opening/closing right door while left one is open
- opening/closing both sides at the same time
... increasing the effort by more than double
As requests for this feature occured multiple times on the mailing list now, this should be reconsidered.
To limit the effort, I suggest to implement it as follows:
- No animations for transitions when one door is already open to opening both doors
- When opening doors on both sides is requested, doors close first, then open again (retains current wagon animation behavior)
- Train needs to keep track of the side where passengers should be dropped on getting off.
- Suggestion is to use door states "-2" (both sides open, left off) and "2" (both sides open, right off)
- Needs two distinct ATC commands "OBL" and "OBR"
- Wagons not supporting the two-side animation can fall back to one-side animation
- Supporting control via driver player HUD is secondary - needs a good concept. For the start, only ATC control.